Smith For Congress
Smith for Congress is a data set containing individual individual contributor data from an unnamed US Congressional campaign. A US House campaign is required to publicly disclose transactional information for contributors who donate at least $200 in a given election cycle. Smith for Congress has disclosed every single contribution made by an individual, regardless of their total amount given. Smith for Congress is the only US House campaign to do so. These data represent a unique look in to how congressional campaigns raise money.
A blog post with my motivations for collecting and distributing this information an be found here: Smith for Congress data release. All data was prepared and cleaned by me, for research purposes only.
The latest Smith For Congress data set was generated on: March 23, 2011.
The latest data set may always be downloaded from here: Smith For Congress - latest.
Data DefinitionThe data set comes as a CSV file, one contribution per row. The file contains 5 columns:
- personid - a unique identifier for each individual.
- amount - the contribution amount
- ctd_aggregate - The cycle-to-date aggregate amount this individual has given
- contribution_date - the contribution date
- cycle - the election cycle the contribution was recorded under.